What is HIS Server Lite
CUAHSI Hydrologic Information Systems (HIS) Server is a computer server that leverages sophisticated commercial software such as SQL Server 2005 and ArcGIS Server to store, analyze, and publish hydrologic observations data. HIS Server Lite
is a version of HIS Server running with the minimum commerical software required. While HIS Server Lite does not include a web client interface (such as DASH), it does support data storage through the Observations Data Model (ODM), as well as data publishing with web services.
To create an instance of HIS Server Lite:
- Obtain a computer that will support the system prerequisites below.
- Install and configure the required prerequisite software.
- Install the HIS software components.
- Read documentation to learn how to use HIS Lite.
The following system prerequisites must be met before installing the HIS software.
- Windows 2003 Server or Windows XP
- Microsoft Internet Information Services (IIS) 6.0
- Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Express
- Microsoft .Net Framework Version 2.0 Redistributable Package
- ASP.Net Version 2.0
XP - We need to add more details on permissions. I think there are simple and more detailed permission (dv)
Instructions for Installing Software Prerequisites
If your machine is missing one or more of the prerequisites above, you must make sure that they are installed before you install any of the HIS Software components. In general, the system prerequisites should be installed in the following order:
- The Operating System - either Windows XP (development) or Windows 2003 Server (production)
- Microsoft Internet Information Server (IIS)
- Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Express
- ASP.Net Version 2.0.
It should be noted that Version 2.0 of the Microsoft .Net Framework will be installed by the Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Express installation if you do not have it already. The following pages provide instructions for installing each of the prerequisites (except for the operating system).
HIS Lite Software Components
The following components have been developed by CUAHSI as part of the HIS. Once all of the prerequisite requirments have been met, these software components can be installed without any addition commerical software licences. The HIS software components are distributed free under the Berkely Software Distribution license.
- Observations Data Model - Database schema into which you will load your observations data.
- ODM Data Loader - General purpose tool for loading observations data from CSV or MS Excel files into an ODM database.
- ODM Streaming Data Loader - Tool for loading observations data from LoggerNet text files or other sensor data into an ODM Database.
- ODM Tools - Tool for querying, visualizing, and editing data in an ODM database. This application also includes functionality for updating the Controlled Vocabulary tables in your ODM databases.
- WaterOneFlow web service - Web service that can be configured to publish data from your ODM database.
Additional HIS software components may be installed upon purchase of commercial software:
- SQL Server 2005 - Fully featured SQL Server, with analysis services such as SQL Server Integration Services.
- Data Access System for Hydrology (DASH) - Web client for viewing, querying and downloading data from ODM databases and WaterOneFlow web services (requires ESRI ArcGIS Server).
For more information about the additional functionality that is enabled by these commercial software products, please see the following page:What Is HIS Server
Installing and Configuring HIS Lite Software Components¶
The following are instructions for installing each of the HIS software components that can be used with HIS Server Lite. For instructions on how to use each of these software components, see the Documentation section below.
Once you have installed Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Express, you can download a blank instance of the CUAHSI ODM and attach it to your SQL Server. Once attached, you can use the data loaders below to load data into the database as well as the ODM Tools application for visualizing and editing the data. In addition, you can use the Mcrosoft SQL Server Management Studio Express to open the database and view/edit the contents of the tables. Instructions for downloading and attaching a blank ODM database to your instance of SQL Server Express can be found at: http://his.cuahsi.org/odmdatabases.html
ODM Data Loader
The ODM Data Loader is a general purpose tool for loading observations data from CSV or MS Excel files into an ODM database. It can be installed using the online installer at the following URL. If you click on the "Install" button on this page the ODM Data Loader will be installed. Once installed, you will find the ODM Data Loader under the CUAHSI HIS program grouping in your Start menu.
ODM Streaming Data Loader
The ODM Streaming Data Loader can be installed using an executable installation that can be downloaded from the following URL. Detailed installation instructions for the Streaming Data Loader can be found in the user's manual at the following link, as well. Once installed, you will find the ODM Streaming Data Loader under the CUAHSI HIS program grouping in your Start menu.
ODM Tools can be installed using an executable installation that can be downloaded from the following URL. Please install the latest version of ODM Tools, which is Version 1.2. If you are interested, the source code for ODM Tools is also available for download at the following URL. Detailed installation instructions for ODM Tools can be found in the user's manual at the following link, as well. Once installed, you will find ODM Tools under the CUAHSI HIS program grouping in your Start menu.
WaterOneFlow web service
The latest release of the ODM WaterOnFlow web services is available via the following zip file.
Instructions for installing, configuring, and connecting the ODM Web Services to your ODM datbase can be found at the following Link:
Configuring Web Services for an Observations Database
Documentation for HIS Server Lite Software Components
Most of the documentation for the CUAHSI HIS Server Software components can be found athttp://his.cuahsi.org/publications.html
These documents describe in detail how to use the software components that are a part of HIS Server Lite.
The documentation page provides help with: